Salesforce is often the sole repository for critical information like customer contact details, customer purchase history, product presentations, sales quotes, signed contracts, and even customer invoices. Virtually every source of customer revenue is tied to your Salesforce data — and it’s all one mistake away from being deleted – Forever!
Salesforce utilises some of the most advanced technology for Internet security available today. Every customer and every App, no matter how large or small, enjoy the benefits of the redundancy, disaster recovery, backup and patch management required for the most mission-critical applications.
Salesforce takes care of the heavy disaster recovery for you and that’s wonderful. But they can’t guard you against you users’ tampering or against accidental user errors. You will find Salesforce.com VERY unsympathetic in these instances.
- Leading online providers such as Google and Salesforce have world-class disaster recovery capabilities, but only for THEIR disasters, not yours – and since one-third of all data loss is due to human error – chances are you will have your own disasters.
- Without daily backups, the only thing standing between you and disaster is the trash folder, and once that has been cleared your data is gone forever. The truth is that once your data is deleted, altered or corrupted, whether accidentally or maliciously, there is very little you or your service provider can do to recover it.
So, why Backup Salesforce?
Your Salesforce data is the lifeblood of your business. Salesforce is often the sole repository for critical information like customer contact details, customer purchase history, products and price lists, sales quotes, signed contracts, customer service case management and even customer invoices. Virtually every current and future source of customer revenue is tied to your Salesforce data – and it’s all just one mistake away from being deleted forever… think about that for a minute….
Therefore, it’s vital to your business to protect your Salesforce data against all forms of data loss – especially user error and corruption from third-party applications.
Examples of these types of data loss can include:
- Users accidentally delete data
- Admins incorrectly map fields when importing data
- Third-party applications overwrite data
At SalesFix we have reviewed several backup solutions available and recommend the following (recovery of the data backup may still be reliant upon an administrator restoring one of many records and objects annually utilising Salesforce Data Loader or Skyvva data loader).
Salesforce Weekly Export
Salesforce provide a facility to generate backup files manually once every six days (for weekly export) or 28 days (for monthly export). You can also schedule backup files to generate a automatically at weekly or monthly intervals. This, however this is reliant upon a user downloading the backup file or files to a local file storage.
Cloud based (set it and forget solutions)
We recommend Spanning Backup or OwnBackup for Salesforce!
With Spanning Backup or OwnBackup for Salesforce you can:
- Protect against data loss caused by user error and third party applications
- Eliminate time spent managing manual Salesforce backups
- Save money by reducing storage costs on Salesforce
- Find and restore data quickly and easily
Every day, Spanning Backup or OwnBackup will identify your most recently added and updated Salesforce objects and files, copy that data to an encrypted storage cloud and make those backups available through their web interface.